Dogs are very much part of the family, dogs are excited when they know they are going to be traveling with you and not left behind. To make the journey more enjoyable for all, it is important to be prepared in advance, know exactly what to bring and have them ready to go. Bear in mind, after you have done it once, the second time will be so much easier because you will know the essentials you need.
Some tips on items you must have when driving in the car with your dog.
- A dog water bottle and water bowl to go. These are actually very important to bring with you when driving in the car with your dog. Your dog might get thirsty during the journey, it is always good to take their own water bottle for them and fill it up before you head out, for when you’re at the park or out and about, you want to make sure your dog stays hydrated all the time.
- A dog seat cover. There are many dogs seat cover available in the marketplace, choose one that is not too expensive, easy to set up, waterproof, easy to clean and your dog love being on it. If your dog sheds a lot, you will notice that a lot of the hairs stay on the seat cover. In the event your dog gets car sick, you will be glad you cover your car seats, so that is a good thing. Also, your dog’s paws may get dirty from time to time. You will find dog seat cover protects your car seats; it is really a game-changer in that sense.
- The third item is actually very important to have a dog safety harness for your dog. It should be easy to use, just make sure you follow the safety instruction, so your dog is securely fastened to stop him from roaming around. Now, your dog is secured as he is buckled up and safe to be your travel companion.
- The fourth item to have in your car, when driving with your dog, is making sure you don’t forget some snacks and treats. Always carry some treats not only to reward your dog for being a good boy, but also, if you ever need to get his attention fast, it is good to have dog treats on you.
- The fifth essential is a leash, collar and poop bags. Just in case your dog needs to go, you need to be able to stop the car safely on the side of the road and let him out to release himself, so be prepared!
- The sixth item is to make sure you bring a dog first aid kits, just in case. (We have written an article on the 12 must-have essentials for Doggie First Aid Kits. Make sure you check out this article, you will find some useful and helpful tips there.)
- Of course, we must not forget some familiar dog toys. Sitting in the car can be boring for your dog, so when you get to your destination, give him the toy to keep him entertain and get some energy out of him.
- The last thing is a towel. It is always very handy to carry a towel with you when you’re in your car with your dog, because there are times when your dog ends up getting very wet or even dirty if you take him out to the park. Use the towel to clean him up before he gets back into the car.
You and your beloved four-legged friend will feel much calmer if you are well prepared for the car ride, so both of you can have a happy and fun time hitting the open road. Last but not least, just a reminder, never leave your dog alone in the car unattended, they can suffer heatstroke and hypothermia.